Monday 11 January 2010

That's not a bug



Since I started reading blogs, articles and forums about testing, I've noticed testers mocking developers when they use the phrase "It's not a defect, users would never do that" or something along those lines. In fact, I have been on the receiving end of that kind of comment recently when a developer told me "It's not a defect, it's a suggestion for improvement". Naturally, I disagreed! After I calmed down, I tried to think from the developer's point of view, and knowing he was very intelligent and good at his job, I started to realise, that maybe, ever so often, us testers aren't always right... (but on this occasion, I was!).

2 comments:

  1. As a developer I've been on both sides of that argument. When talking with product owners (non-technical - more of users) they often use that argument when I am trying to get requirements from them.

    Me: "What happens if the user does X?"
    Po: "The user would never do X!"
    Me: "So we have the software prevent them from doing X?"
    Po: "No, lets not restrict them like that."
    Me: "So what should the software do when they do that?"
    Po: "Doesn't matter, they would never do that."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you can't beat a real life example. Thanks for sharing it.
    Andy.

    ReplyDelete